I finally finished a project I’ve been working on for weeks:
The reference photo and the finished painting
The vase ended up being ridiculously difficult to paint, as did the reflections on the floor, and I never ended up being really happy with the vase. It’s okay as long as you haven’t seen the reference photo, but once you have, the problems are rather glaring.
The one thing I’m really happy with is the wood grain: I think that turned out well, but only after a ton of tries and a lot of dissatisfaction. Here’s what it looked like before I put the grain in:
Before and after
I think you can see that it made a huge difference: I was worried that the white patch on the left didn’t look like a reflection, just a weird white patch. Putting in the grain helped with that. Though even now the perspective looks off. Oh well.
Speaking of which, the grain on the left side at least is actually 3D: for the scuff marks, I actually wiped out some of the paint and then painted a little grain in the tracks:
One thing you can really see in this photo is how bumpy the canvas was. I bought the canvas from Walmart because it was cheaper and a shorter trip than running to Hobby Lobby. Never doing that again! The material they used had such a thick and bumpy weave that getting the paint between the fibers was something of a nightmare. I mean, it’s always tough to get the first layer of paint down, but after that, you don’t really have to stuff the paint into the texture of the canvas. Well, not with this brand! The canvas texture was a problem basically the whole way through the process. I ended up using my palette knife to spread the brown on the right side of the vase to make the wood floor look smooth, because otherwise it would’ve been super textured.
The canvas came as a pair, and I’m not planning on using the second one.
Also, I used a yardstick to get the black lines between the boards straight. 😀